Roman Catholic missionaries first arrived here in August 1858 and in 1894 a priest established a permanent residence.
The Parish Hall was built in 1911 within the Hudson’s Bay Company compound (near the Rock Monument) and relocated in 1921 to near the present day hospital. It took six weeks, and ox-powered capstan and a lot of hard work to do the job.
The Mission expanded considerably during the years 1915 to 1923. St. Margaret’s hospital was built in 1916 on a site across 100th Street where Deh Cho Hall used to stand (now an empty lot). it burned to the ground in 1930 and was replaced the following year by a new St. Margaret’s Hospital, which served until 1972 when the Federal Government built today’s hospital. A school, St. Margaret’s Hall, was built in 1917 and served until 1947 when a Federal Day School was built. The Parish Hall was moved ot the area in 1921 and in 1923 Sacred Heart Church was built.
At the same time the Mission had considerable land under cultivation to provide potatoes and vegetables for its staff and hay for its horses and oxen.
There is a stone grotto on the lawn in front of the hospital erected in 1958 to mark 100 years of missionary activity in the community.
The old Roman Catholic cemetery is located behind the school, close to the steam plant. In an unmarked grave lie the remains of the many local victims of the 1928 flu epidemic.
Information courtesy of the Fort Simpson Historical Society